Health Information for International Students

Health Insurance and Records

All students are required to submit a completed health form complete with insurance information to the Wilkins Wellness Center. Information and forms are available on the null. All students are required to have insurance when they arrive on campus. You may enroll in the health insurance plan provided by Academic Risk Management, Inc. or at

If you purchase other insurance, the company MUST provide verification in English and the coverage must be equal or greater than the coverage provided by Academic Health Plans.

Wilkins Wellness Center

The Wilkins Wellness Center provides medical services to students. Medical care will be available by appointment 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, to treat medical problems or provide referrals to outside specialists if necessary. All students are urged to bring their medical records with them to ensure the most efficient and appropriate treatment.


The Laws of Virginia require that all students provide proof of the following immunizations: Polio, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Rubella, Mumps, PDD (TB Screening or chest X-ray). Hepatitis B is strongly recommended. If you have not already received these immunizations, it is necessary for you to do so before leaving your country as the cost of this service can be high in the United States. You must have documented proof that you have complied with these requirements. If you have any questions, you may contact the Wilkins Wellness Center.
Phone: (540) 665-4530
Fax: (540) 665-5576


If you suffer from any chronic condition that requires medication, you are advised to bring sufficient supplies with you. Most strong medications in this country require a doctor’s prescription and cannot be purchased at a drug store without a physician’s authorization. In addition, the cost of drugs may be considerably higher in the United States.